Sunday, April 27, 2014

C4T Summary

For my first c4t I was assigned Steve Wheeler. In this blog post titled Personal Devices In Higher Education Mr. Wheeler writes about how todays Universities need a "tech overhaul". Mr. Wheeler writes about how several college campuses are incorporating technology into the curriculum but the university buildings them selves are not equipped to handle the new technology. For example many universities do not have enough charging points in the class room for all the students to plug up their lap tops. He also writes about how universities should adapt the traditional university lecture hall to handle personal devices such as tablets or mobile phones. He states that they should build charging points into the desk into the classrooms or have more Wifi access points in the building, which is something that all EDM310 students know too much about. You can always know who is in EDM310 because they walking around the education building holding their laptops up to try and pick up a Wifi connection.

My comment: My name is Ben Mayfield and i am currently a student at the University of South Alabama. Technology in the class room is starting to become more prevalent not only in university class rooms but in other levels of education as well. I also think that our university lecture halls need a tech overhaul. I also think that some universities like mine are implementing technology in the wrong way. Human interaction is essential in learning. Whether it be with other students or with the professor. Many universities, like mine, are using technology to opt out of actual teaching. For example I recently took a history course that was a blended format. In this format students use their computer or smart phone to listen to lectures and complete their assignments. In the course that I took the lectures that we were assigned to listen to where not lectures from our professor, but lectures recorded from another professor at a different university. To me, this cheapened my education. I can easily just listen to youtube videos posted by different professors on any subject for free, but I pay to attend a university to learn different ideas and points of view from the professors there not ones from other universities. I agree that universities need to move towards a tech friendly environment, but I feel that most universities would take the tech overhaul in the wrong direction to save money and cheapen education.

For my second C4T I was assigned mr. Wheeler again. In this blog post titled Who We Are Mr. Wheeler poses the question; Can you separate your personal identity from your professional identity? Mr. Wheeler goes on to explain some of the comments he got on this question on Twitter. He writes that Identity is a complex issue and wonders if some one can separate their personal identity from their professional one on media social networks. He explains that separating these two identities can be a good idea but allowing them to intermingle is not a bad idea. By allowing your two identities to intermingle they can complement each other or hold one another back when one is becoming too prominent.

My comment: I too believe that Identity is a complex issue. I am currently attending the University of South Alabama for secondary education. I realize that as an educator you must separate you personal and professional identity to a certain extent. In a highschool classroom setting your students have to understand that you are in control which is where your professional identity comes into play, but while teaching your lessons you ca allow your personal identity to complement your professional identity. I believe that ones personal and professional identity should not separated but intermingled and allowed to complement each other. After all when asked the question of who we are, we always take into account both our personal and professional identities before describing who we are as a person.

No comments:

Post a Comment